CALL US (Mon-Fri) 0413 244 994 9:00am - 4:30pm AEST


Course Selector

Unique Student Identifier

Do you have a Unique Student Identifier (USI)?


Students attending accredited training need a USI

From 1 January 2015 all students that undertake nationally recognised training delivered by a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) will need to provide the training provider with their Unique Student Identifier (USI) number.

The USI number gives students access to their online USI account which is made up of ten numbers and letters. It will look something like this: 3AW88YH9U5.

The USI account will contain all of a student’s nationally recognised training records and results from 1 January 2015 onwards.

When applying for a job or enrolling in further study, students will often need to provide their training records and results. One of the main benefits of the USI is that students will have easy access to their training records and results throughout their life.

Students can access their USI account online from a computer, tablet or smart phone anywhere and any time.

Who needs a USI and why?

If you are a new or continuing student undertaking nationally recognised training, you need a USI in order to receive your qualification or statement of attainment. If you don’t have a USI you will not receive your qualification or statement of attainment.

Please note that should you not provide your USI on the day of training we will be unable to issue a certificate for the completed course. 

How do I get a USI?

Log onto the Australian government website and follow the prompts at

Individual exemptions

Individuals who have a genuine personal objection to being assigned a USI will be able to apply for an exemption to the Student Identifiers Registrar.

International Students

If you are an international student studying offshore and do not intend on coming to Australia to do your study you do not need a USI. However, if you are an Australian expat or resident student studying offshore with an Australian training organisation, you will need a USI.

If you are an International student who will be studying in Australia you will require a USI. All international students in Australia will have been issued with an Australian Visa. Once you have arrived in Australia your visa will be activated and you will be able to apply for a USI.

For more information about your USI you can watch this video


Pin It on Pinterest

You Can Share This

Sharing is caring